The International Water Bank (IWB), an official Global Strategic partner of the W12 Congress, which has been established to invest and finance innovative solutions in the water sector that secure sustainable water demand globally, will visit Cape Town for the world’s first W12 water congress, on the week of 18 May 2020. The IWB will actively engage with companies and governments to identify projects and initiatives with which they could invest.
Representatives from the IWB, facilitated by SOSNPO and W12, are inviting corporates and individuals that have developed or want to pitch water-related initiatives and enterprises, to meet with IWB in meetings, to during the W12 Congress.Businesses and entrepreneurs have a crucial role to play in the new water and climate change arena and evidenced by the emergence of a new type of entrepreneur. Pioneers are producing conceptual ideas, new products and transformative business models that have intelligence and integrity and this is what SOSNPO, the organisers of the event, will showcase at the W12 Congress in Cape Town in 2020.
The W12 Congress, is an International Conference and Expo that will bring together city officials, academics, business executives, water experts, and students from major cities in the world that would likely tackle a major water scarcity in the future. Learnings from Cape Town which was one of the first major cities to face – and avoid – what has become known as Day Zero (in Cape Town it was set as the day that dam water levels would be so low that residents would have to queue for water).
The IWB is the first bank in the world to help overcome the obstacles of investing in the water sector by providing financial products and solutions dedicated to lending for water project, technologies, infrastructure, and other water-related initiatives.
Water is a human right and the IWB mission is to provide integral solutions to people’s need for water globally and to support sustainable development of the water resources management and their focus is to improve people’s conditions and livelihood, while also providing finance for the water industry and yielding attractive returns for investors.
The Chairman of the Board of the International Water Bank, Mr. Rashad Shawa, says: “We are positive that we will come across internationally ready innovations in Cape Town because this city was the catalyst to this now urgent global movement and is leading the way to manage and solve the world’s water crisis.”
Mr. Rashad Shawa will be joining the Keynote Speaker Panel with Arnold Schwarzenegger on Monday 18th May 2020.
Mr. Rashad Shawa (left)
– Chairman of the Board off the International Water Bank
– Chairman of Mai Resources International (Switzerland) AG
– Member of the World Water Council and the Arab Water Council
– Senior Executive, International Banker and Member of the Executive Board and Head of the Middle East department, and Senior Advisor to the Board of several International Banks in the UK and Switzerland
– Current and Former Board Member for Regional and International Institutions including Babson College in the United States, the world number one university for entrepreneurship Medurable in France
The IWA joins the W12 as a Global Strategic Partner along with UNESCO, IDA, WISA, SIWI and Climate Change Projects.
W12 Congress – Cities. Water. Solutions.
- 27th – 28th January 2020: ‘By invitation’ sessions for the task team, conveners and stakeholders to meet and continue work on the framework for the protocol as planned. Their work and findings will be announced at a press conference on the 29th of January.
- The protocol work will continue until the public facing sessions take place at W12 Congress during the week of 18th of May 2020. The protocol will then be discussed with the invited cities and international stakeholders. The framework will be distributed to the cities beforehand, to give them a chance to comment, to engage with the results and to prepare their questions.
- In the run-up to and while the civil/public sessions take place in May, W12 has organised for the world’s most interactive water installation to be exhibited in Cape Town from March until May 2020 (venue to be announced soon). The Miyah Pavilion World of Water pavilion is a massive and highly impressive installation which will give people a clear insight into the world’s water crisis and, through interactive edutainment, will demonstrate how they can play their part in helping to preserve, save and manage water.
Further speaker and celebrity involvement will be announced on a bi-weekly basis.
Confirmed international organisations that are participating at W12 Congress include:
- IDA (International Desalination Association)
- WORLD BANK
- IWB (International Water Bank)
- SIWI (Stockholm Water Week)